Self-Discipline Ain’t Easy


As I begin let me say, I am not writing about self-discipline because I have mastered it—not by a long shot. Those who are close to me can attest to that. I’m the person who has the habit of getting out of bed at the last possible moment each morning, and then having to “push the pedal to the metal” to get to work on time . . . or a minute late . . . or five minutes late. Nevertheless, the matter of self-discipline is on my heart. So, here goes . . .

One definition of discipline is to bring to a state of order and obedience by training and control. The Word tells us, For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it . . . (Hebrews 12:11, Amplified)

To me, self-discipline is simply doing what you don’t want to do at the moment, knowing it will bring a reward in the future. For example, going to work when you would rather stay home because you need that paycheck; eating the fruit or veggies instead of ice cream to lose those extra pounds; getting up and doing your workout when hitting the snooze button one more time is so tempting; spending time in the Word and in prayer rather than sitting in front of the TV.

All of us know that when we reach the goal it will be worth it; it’s just getting our body to agree with our mind that now is the time to get up and do it. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:27, But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection . . . In other words, he didn’t let his body have its way.

That is what self-discipline is all about—remembering that our body is just the house we live in, and it should not control our actions. Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and as such should be under the control of the Holy Spirit. When God created each of us, He gave us a will—we can make our own decisions. However, His desire is for us to submit our will to His. We want to “do our own thing,” but His way is so much better. We want to eat the large bag of M&Ms all in one sitting, but He wants us to have a healthy body to better serve Him. We want our life to be filled to the brim with activity. He wants us to take some time each day to just be with Him, so that we can grow spiritually into the men and women of God He created us to be.

I have a long way to go. 

Scriptures for Reflection

Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. (Hebrews 12:11)

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. (1 Corinthians 9:27)

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

No comments: