Changing Our Focus


On Monday of this week, I woke up feeling depressed for no apparent reason. As I reflected on it later in the day, I came to the conclusion that my emotions were out of sync because I was feeling the weight of responsibilities in various areas of my life, including my job, my family, and my church. We live in a fast-paced world, and most of us have many details to take care of and many deadlines to meet. When you add the moral and economic decline of our nation, along with the increase of anti-Christian rhetoric that we now hear on a regular basis, all of these can weigh upon a person’s mind and heart. Although the details of our future have always been uncertain, we now see our society moving rapidly in the wrong direction, and the changes are particularly disturbing.  We live in a time of great distress and perplexity.

During a whirlwind of activities a few days ago, I told my husband that sometimes I just want the world to “stop and let me off.” I am sure we have all had those moments. I believe the enemy’s goal is to keep us focused on the negative circumstances of life and the frustration we feel. If he cannot keep us from being Christians, he at least wants us to be distracted so that we cannot serve God effectively.

In my opinion, two of our worst enemies are busyness and discouragement, because these can keep us from spending time with the Lord. However, if our desire is to grow in our relationship with Him, our Lord provides a way for us to turn our focus away from the harsh circumstances of life and turn our attention toward Him. We find the power to refocus in the Word of God.

Over the course of this week, I have been drawn to Psalm 34. In this psalm, many times David makes it clear that we serve a God who is willing to deliver us from the troubles and distress of life.

I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears. (v. 4)
This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. (v. 6)
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and rescues them. (v. 7)
Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. (v. 19)

The following verses of Psalm 34 especially ministered to me, because through them I was assured that the Lord’s attention is focused on me and He cares about what I am going through.

The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and His ears are open to their cry. The face of the Lord is against evildoers, to cut off the memory of them from the earth. The righteous cry, and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (vs. 15-18)

When we are down, brokenhearted and crushed in spirit—in our times of greatest trouble and distress, we can call upon the Lord. And He will hear us and will deliver us from all of our troubles! That is cause for praise and rejoicing!

I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul will make its boast in the Lord; The humble will hear it and rejoice. O magnify the Lord with me, And let us exalt His name together. (vs. 1-3)

No comments: