Sitting at the Feet of Jesus

Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42, NKJV)

In the scripture above, Martha was distracted by the important, while failing to see what was most important.

Mary, on the other hand, was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word (v. 39, NASB). Some of us have a hard time being still before the Lord, always feeling the need to do something. I can see Mary sitting at His feet, adoring Him, and listening to His words—her devotion to Him evident on her face.

It is so sad that many Christians are like Martha. The Lord is present with them, because He has taken up abode in their hearts. However, their lives are so filled with distractions that they do not enjoy the presence of the Lord. We live in a time when there is so much available to do, so many opportunities that did not exist is earlier generations. Quiet times spent at home seem to be a thing of the past.

There are many important and worthwhile activities in which we can become involved. However, there are also unnecessary activities that, if we allow it, will cause us to drift from our close relationship with the Lord. It is important for each of us to take inventory and ask the Holy Spirit to examine our hearts and lives. If He reveals to us that time we are spending on things we want to do would be better spent at the feet of Jesus, then we need to change our priorities. I have heard the expression that good is the enemy of best. Just because an activity is good and not sinful does not necessarily mean a child of God should be doing it. We must be sensitive to the Spirit as He guides us.

I have been invited many times by some of my Christian friends to join their Book Club. While I love to read and it would not be sinful to join, and I have many times wanted to do so, I have felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to not join. I have been unable to put into words the reason why until now. I now know that the Lord wanted me to spend time with Him so that I could discover His new direction for my life. Time reading enjoyable books would not be sinful, but because of what the Lord wanted to show me, it would have been time wasted. I am glad my friends participate in something they enjoy so much, and hope they understand that I have to do what the Holy Spirit is leading me to do.

Have you allowed your life to become so full of activities that you cannot enjoy the relationship you have with your loving Savior and Lord? If so, kneel at the feet of Jesus and ask Him to help you change your priorities. Your reward for time spent with Him will be the deep and abiding relationship with our Lord that we each long for.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

With a sister named, Mary... even as a youngster thought of myself as the Martha in this story. Thanks for reminding me that we need to take time out from the busyness of life... and be still before God so he can speak to our hearts.