Priority One: The Word of God

I am daily learning, and there are so many things that I could write about. The one that I continue to be drawn to is this:  Our minds and hearts need to be saturated with the Word of God. I tell my Sunday School class often that there is nothing more important than spending time with God in prayer and in His Word.

It is from God’s Word that we receive instruction for daily living, guidance in making decisions, strength to face the many issues of life, peace in our times of trouble, and the power to live above sin. God has given us everything we need to live a successful Christian life. Are you appropriating what you have been given? Are you submitting to the leading of the Spirit? Or are you doing what I tend to do so often, trying to live the Christian life on your own? We sometimes live as if we have forgotten that once we accept Christ, we have the Word of God and the promise of His indwelling Spirit to help us live for Him. After He saves us, He does not cast us aside and tell us that we now have to make it on our own. He gives us all things that pertain unto life and godliness. (2 Peter 1:3)  He says, “This is the way to live…..here is the Instruction Book.”  And what do we do so often? We fail to read the instructions. We have our own ideas, our preconceived notions about what it means to be a Christian.

My husband and I were talking about this the other day, and he told me he would love to read the Bible and try to forget that he had ever read it before or heard anything about it. I feel the same way. I would love to pick up the Word of God as if it was the first time and read what God has to say to me. His Word was written to each one of us. If we will take the time to read it, He will speak to our hearts through it. He will give us a rhema word for the very moment we are living in.

Father, help us to stop wasting precious time on endless trivialities and make reading Your Word our first priority!

No comments: