Thank You For My Weaknesses


All of us have areas of our life that we wish we could change. We each have shortcomings, weaknesses and sins that we have difficulty overcoming. And as we examine ourselves we feel shame, remorse and regret. It is natural that we want to curse our weaknesses. The thought of thanking God for our weaknesses is a foreign concept.

Recently, I read the following familiar verse of scripture and saw it in a new way. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Cor. 12:9)  As I meditated on this verse, I came to believe that we should thank God for our weaknesses and infirmities. Because it is only when we understand that we are powerless to change ourselves, and become willing to confess our sins to God and ask for help, that the power of God will be manifested in us. Thus acknowledging our weaknesses really becomes the way to obtain God’s strength to live the Christian life. If we see our weaknesses in this way, they really become something for which to be thankful.

The Word tells us that God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. (James 4:6; 1 Peter 5:5)  As long as we remain proud and self-sufficient, we will also remain in our sin, because our own willpower alone is not enough to keep us from sin. When we come to the place that we acknowledge we are nothing without the Lord—when we glory in our infirmities—then the power of Christ will rest upon us.

I have found myself, even after years of being a Christian, trying to live a righteous life in my own power, when what I need to do is come humbly before God and pray:  Father, without Your help I cannot live the holy life that You require. I acknowledge that I am weak and powerless. I give up trying to do it myself. Infuse me with Your strength that I may walk in a way that is pleasing to You.

This is my prayer, and I hope that you will make it yours.

No comments: