Thanksgiving Every Day

give thanks

This being the time of year we celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday, it is a season when we especially remember the many things for which we are thankful. But in the life of a child of God, every day should be a day of thanksgiving. Psalm 92:1 tells us, It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most high. And Psalm 105:1: O give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people. Psalm 118:1: O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever. And the Psalms are filled with many more admonitions for us to give thanks to God.

No matter what is happening in your life right now, you have much for which to be thankful. Even if we have had a very bad day, or bad week, month, year, or even more, we can be thankful that there is a God in heaven who loves us. I’m reminded of words from the worship song, I Have a Hope: There’s still hope for me today, for the God of heaven loves me.*   Even though your present situation may seem hopeless, your life is in God’s hands. He has a purpose for what you are going through, though you may not understand it right now. Everything we face is temporary. This life with all of its hardships is so short when compared with eternity. James tells us that our life is a vapor that appears for a short while and then vanishes away. (Jms. 4:14)

Though our lives are less than perfect, we can look forward to the things that God has in store for us. Through the sacrifice of His Son, He has provided salvation, and when we accept this gift we have the assurance that we will spend eternity with Him in a place where all of our hardships will be over and forgotten. He has promised to dry all tears from our eyes. I look forward to finally seeing my Savior, face to face!

While I am still on this earth, I want to spend the short time I have left giving thanks unto God with my life and with my words.

Father, thank You for life. Thank you for the gift of Your Son and the sacrifice of His life on Calvary. Thank You for salvation. Thank You for Your Word that has been given to guide us. Thank You that You care about us completely, even though we don’t always understand what is happening in our lives. We love You, Lord!

*I Have a Hope, Tommy Walker, Maranatha Music

No comments: