Begin at the Beginning

new year

The beginning of a new year seems to be a great time to “start over,” to forsake old habits that are getting us nowhere and to embrace new ways of living that we believe will be more beneficial to us. Many people take this opportunity to review their life and readjust priorities. Some make what they call “new year’s resolutions,” vowing they are going to change their lives by adhering to a list of proposed changes. Sadly, these lists seem to keep people on track for not much longer than it takes the ink to dry on the paper. We are creatures of habit, and too easily fall back into old ways of doing things.

In the first verse of the Bible, we find the words: In the beginning God . . .  As His child, I believe that any change we desire in our life requires us to begin at the beginning. We need to go back to the One who began it all in the first place and ask for His guidance. Proverbs 1:7 says, The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom . . .  If we desire guidance—wisdom for how to live our lives—we need only to look to the One who is all wisdom. As we live in the reverential fear of the Lord, acknowledging that He is the One who knows all things, as we submit ourselves to His divine direction and immerse ourselves in His Word, we will obtain His help in taking our life in the direction He desires for us.

So, this year I am going to make one resolution that I believe will cover everything:  I resolve to put God first in my life and to obey Him in all things.

Father, help me to lay aside anything that hinders my relationship with You. Help me to begin at the beginning and follow You all the way.

Scriptures for Reflection

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Proverbs 1:7)

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33)

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:13-14)

No comments: