A Heart for the Outcast

teenage boy crying
This post is written by my brother David.

I was talking with a teen from church one day during this past school year.  He was telling me of recent events for him at school and how he gets picked on a lot for his medical disabilities and some of his learning issues.  Through a course of events he ended up in ISS (in school suspension).

He told me of that experience and how he really did not like being inside the closed-in cubicle all day.  However, he also said, “…but you know what…I kinda liked it…..no one picked on me today.”

I get tears in my eyes every time I think about how miserable that must be.  For him to live day by day and actually prefer to sit in a claustrophobic box rather than deal with the outside pressures of such condescending cruelty.   A well-known and often-quoted scripture is John 3:16, For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  But do we really in our hearts believe and accept ‘whosoever’?  Or do we ourselves look down upon others because of their race, handicaps, social status, family history, past sins, or any other thing that makes us feel we are better than THAT person.

I pray we can all receive the heart of God for the lonely and the destitute around us.

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’  He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, YOU DID NOT DO FOR ME.’  (Matthew 25:44-45 NIV, emphasis added.)

No comments: